Saturday, January 1, 2011

Saturday - January 1, 2011

Welcome Back!  Today marks the first day of 2011 and the first day I get (back) into blogging.  I originally set this blog us as a 2010 New Years resolution, but never really followed through with the actual updating of said blog - a blog I was hoping would be a great place to document the fun exploits of me, my wife, my pets, my family and my friends in an attempt to make myself realize just how much I should be thankful about being able to do!

Since today was New Years Day,   we were able to sleep in and enjoy a relaxing day shopping, watching movies and just generally hanging around the house .  We were fortunate enough to have Mel, Andy and Dolly spend the night at out house after a great New Years Eve dinner at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL (a tradition Mel and I started last year) and as soon as we were all up and dressed, we headed to Randall's Pancake House & Restaurant in Elgin, IL.  for breakfast.

After we ate, Mel and Amanda decided they wanted to make (another) trip to Hobby Lobby looking for crafting supplies.  Knowing that their previous trip resulted in an unrealized loss of three hours, Andy and I decided to hit the movies to see "Tron Legacy" in 3D.


I had never seen the original "Tron" before, but it wasn't really a necessity and I enjoyed the movie anyway.  The special affects were really well done and the movie overall was exciting and very enjoyable.  I'd definitely check it out again once it was available streaming on Netflix.

After the movie, Andy and I regrouped with Mel and Amanda at our house where the crafting fun had already begun.  With that, it was time for another movie - this time a rented disc from Netflix of "The Joneses".  I am not sure where I first saw a preview for the movie, but it looked intriguing.  Amanda and I really enjoyed it, but I don't think Andy was as enthralled with it as we both were and it did spark some "ethicality" debates, but in the end we had to agree to disagree.   I'd recommend the movie though if not just for the overall premise.


After that movie, it was time for dinner.  Since it's now the start off a new year and we have been in Illinois for almost a year already, we decided it was time to finally start trying to mark off some things on our list of things to do before we (hopefully) head back to Richmond.  On that list - a trip to White Castle - a trip we all agreed we would not need to make again.  Perhaps if any of us had grown up going to White Castle we would have felt differently, but at least it is something we can say we did.

White Castle Sliders

Amanda and her tiny sliders!

Mel and Andy return from White Castle

After dinner, we watched a few episodes of "Better Off Ted" streaming on Netflix and then it was time for the Sweeneys to go home. All in all, it was a very satisfying day and I do really enjoy days where you don't have to do a lot to feel like you have done a lot. As for tomorrow, we'll have to wait and see what comes our way. For now though, I think I am going to head to bed. The pups are tired and Amanda is playing World of Warcraft....and that is all it really takes to make me ready to sign off for the night!



1 comment:

  1. 1) Terrible photo of me...
    2) Mel and I really didn't think we could be in Hobby Lobby for more than 1/2 an hour after spending 3 hours there the day before...but, well, we surprised us all by spending 2 hours there!! We were at least out before your movie was over...even if we had an hour head start! :)

    ReplyDelete